What are some ways I can save money when moving?
Questions like, “What can I do to reduce the cost of my move” are ones we hear often at Clancy Relocation and Logistics. Whether you are a homeowner, renter, one of our commercial customers, or a member of our team; we all want to know how to save money when moving.
Here are some of the most common ways you can save money on the total cost of your move:
1. Lighten the load. Decide what to Keep, Sell, Toss or Donate. Get rid of what you don’t need to move with. Large, heavy items such as furniture, appliances, or pianos are good items to consider leaving behind, selling locally or donating. If you choose to donate, don’t forget to ask for a receipt and record what you donated. Your donations may add up to a bigger tax deduction and can help families in need.
2. Stockpile your own reusable packing supplies like bubble wrap and boxes. Choosing gently used boxes and packing materials will help keep your packing costs down. If you choose to use newspaper, use it as a base layer and do not let it touch light-colored items or it may permanently stain them. And be careful not to use damaged boxes because they may not stack well and can lead to broken or crushed items.
3. Plan your move during the “off-season” if you can. October through mid-May is when fewer people choose to move so you may be eligible for lower rates. Summer (June through September) is “peak” season so your costs will likely be higher if you wait too long to schedule your move. For example, if you are moving long-distance your preferred move date for this summer may already be “closed out” (fully booked). Clancy can still service your move however all or some of your items may require short-term storage.
4. Get your moving estimate as early as you can. While sometimes there is no way to avoid moving last-minute, please contact us as soon as possible when you are moving. This allows our team more time to help with pre-move arrangements which can save you both time and money. Your Clancy Relocation Specialist will be happy to discuss moving services options to fit within your budget, family’s needs, and any additional cost-saving options available.
5. If you are a member of the U.S. Armed Forces you may qualify for a tax credit. If you’re a member of the Armed Forces on active duty, you may be eligible to deduct moving expenses if your move was due to a military order and permanent change of station. You may be able to deduct your unreimbursed moving expenses for you, your spouse and dependents. This includes a move from your home to your first post of active duty, a move from one permanent post of duty to another, and a move from your last post of duty to your home or to a nearer point in the United States. The move must occur within 1 year of ending your active duty or within the period allowed under the Joint Travel Regulations. Source: Offical US Government IRS website, Topic No. 455 https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc455
Unfortunately for the rest of us, moving expenses are no longer tax-deductible. This tax break was omitted in 2018 due to The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. It remains to be seen if this provision will become permanent, but it will remain in effect until 2025. It used to be that if your move was work-related, more than 50 miles from your previous home, you may qualify to deduct your moving expenses. If you moved in 2017 or prior, please review the IRS publication 521 and consult with your tax advisor to determine your eligibility for a moving expenses tax credit.
We’re happy to help you get started early to be in the best position to save money. Our friendly move coordinators are looking forward to assisting you with your move planning.
When planning ahead for a move keep in mind that we professional movers have limited availability during summer months since it is our busiest season. For local moves, generally, a few weeks to a month’s advance notice is still suggested. Long-distance or out of state moves schedules fill up even faster.
Please use the form on our quote page to request your free estimate or call our main local and long-distance moving office serving Connecticut and New York at 800-836-0331