Who To Notify When Moving


Free Quote

A stress Free move allows you to pay attention to important priorities like these

When you are getting ready to move, it is important to notify the companies and organizations you and your family belong to. Aside from having your mail forwarded, there are a few people to notify in order to have your ducks in a row.

Bank Accounts
Call your bank and order new checks with your new address. Be sure to update all accounts (including business accounts as needed) with your new address. Many bank credit card accounts are separate from your checking and you need to call each card with your bank too.


Social Security Administration – http://www.socialsecurity.gov You should change your address with Social Security if you receive Social Security disability, retirement, or survivors benefits. If you need help, call Social Security offices toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

For additional state and local agency contact change of address information, please visit https://www.usa.gov/moving

If you donate to charities on a regular basis first off, thank you! Secondly, be sure to let them know when you move so they may keep you in the loop on how they are doing and what you can do to continue to support them.

Credit Cards
Check your most recent bill before you move. Many credit card companies can let you update your mailing address at the same time as when you mail in your bill payment.


  • Home / Renters Insurance
  • Health Insurance
  • Vision Insurance
  • Dental Insurance
  • Life Insurance

Investment Accounts
Don’t forget to update your address with your 401k or IRA accounts. If you use online brokerage accounts, you will also need to update your address so that important notices continue to reach you. Mail forwarding lasts up to a full year but it is still a good idea to take care of important accounts before or shortly after you move.

Mail Services
U.S. Postal Service Mail Forwarding Service www.usps.com
You can change your address online for a $1.00 fee (payable by credit or debit card) and a valid e-mail address. USPS also allows you to print the form and then mail or deliver it to your local post office.

Visit https://moversguide.usps.com to change your address online (for a small verification fee) or bring to your local post office to process for free. USPS will forward your mail to your new address for up to one year. This should give you enough time to change your address with your magazines and other accounts.

Professional Organizations

  • Fraternity / Sorority
  • Alumni Foundation – Many colleges and Universities have Alumni Foundations. Be sure to let them know how to contact you after you move regarding your member benefits and news updates.
  • Accountant
  • Lawyer
  • Stock Broker
  • Department of Motor Vehicles

In New York State you have a maximum of 10 days after you move to change your address. New York State DMV advises, “Write the new address on your documents. Write your new address in the available space on the back of your driver license, learner permit or non-driver photo ID card. On your registration document, carefully draw lines through the old address and write your new address. Do not change the address on your title certificate. If you write any change on your title certificate, the certificate is not valid. Your title certificate is valid with your old address.” – Source, NY DMV website. Please visit NYDMV.gov for current information on how to change your address with NY DMV when you move http://dmv.ny.gov/

Connecticut law requires its license holders when you move to notify them within 48 hours of any change of address.

Voter Registration – Many states offer links or resources to change your voter registration when you change your address with the DMV for that state. Don’t forget to change this quickly because for those eligible for Jury Duty, selection is based on your voting registration location.

IRS.Gov – www.irs.gov


  • Electric

Many NY residents use NYSEG or ConEd.

Please visit nyseg.com to turn your service off or on when you move http://www.nyseg.com/YourAccount/serviceonoff/ call NYSEG customer service at 1.800.572.1111

ConEdison customers please visit: http://www.coned.com/

  • Oil
  • Gas
  • Cable TV and Internet Service
  • Phone (Landline), Phone (Cellular)


Free Quote

Related Posts

Clancy Moving Rated 4.5 / 5 based on 197 reviews. | Reviews Clancy Moving